Rule of Law Adviser
Local Staff 2023/08
Position available: Immediately
Please send your application and supporting documents to
with subject “Application Ref. No 2023/08- Rule of Law Adviser”.
The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV in English using the ‘EuropeanCurriculum Vitae Format’ (available on our website europa.ba ).
The EUSR will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone. Please address any queries concerning this procedure or related to employment conditions and benefits to
Note: Short-listed candidates will be asked to take a written test.
Candidates who passed the written test will be invited for an interview.
Deadline for application: Monday, 18th September 2023 at 23:59 hrs (Brussels time).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For updates on this position and other EUSR positions please check our website
Thank you for your interest.
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Rule of Law Adviser
Staff Category: Local Staff Position reference number: LC2023/08
Direct Supervisor: Head of Rule of Law Section
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Position available: Immediately
The powers and authorities of the European Union Special Representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina (EUSR) and the powers and authorities of the Head of European Union Delegation in Bosnia and Herzegovina (EU HoD BiH) are vested in the same person. The EUSR’s mandate includes facilitating progress on political, economic and European priorities in close coordination with European Commission and EEAS in order to ensure consistency with other relevant activities falling within the competence of the Union.
Rule of Law Adviser is an expert adviser reporting to the Head of Rule of Law section as part of European Union Special Representative (EUSR). The Adviser represents the Rule of Law Section in all aspects of the EUSR mandate in accordance with the terms of reference of the section.The European Union Special Representative (EUSR) in BiH is double-hatted with the European Union Head of Delegation (EU HoD) and the offices and resources of the EUSR work in full collaborative and supportive association with the Delegation of the European Union to BiH. The EUSR also provides strategic advice to EUFOR/Althea.
Together, the Office of the EUSR and the Delegation of the European Union to BiH are referred to as the EU Office. In accordance with the EUSR mandate to ‘facilitate progress on political, economic and European standards priorities”, the Adviser will also work closely with the European External Action Service, European Commission services and other EU institutions as required by the EUSR.
The EUSR modus operandi and internal organisation will necessarily evolve in accordance with decisions of the Council of the European Union and in relation to the challenges the EUSR meets in BiH. The duties and responsibilities outlined are therefore typical but not exclusive and the EUSR reserves the right to reasonably amend the duties and responsibilities here within.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
The post is generally responsible for monitoring, analysis, advice and assistance in relation to Chapter 23 of the EU acquis, with a specific emphasis on the functioning, effectiveness and integrity of the BiH judicial system. In line with the EUSR mandate, under the supervision of the Head of Rule of Law Section, typical tasks in relation to the assigned sectors include to:
- Provide substantive and technical analysis and advice to facilitate progress on BiH alignment with European standards in improving the judicial sector and ensuring legal certainty, independence, efficiency, accountability and effectiveness of the judiciary, in line with the European Commission’s analytical report and Opinion;
- Monitor, report and provide early warning and advice on institutional/judicial/legal/legislative developments;
- Contribute to the formulation of recommendations and strategies, including by identifying key areas of support;
- Conduct outreach and advocacy activities and provide expertise, advice and assistance to BiH authorities to facilitate progress in the above sectors, including by supporting technical processes and initiatives;
- Represent the EUSR in working groups and commissions covering matters falling within the field of responsibility where required, and report accordingly;
- Supports BiH to improve international cooperation with EU, Regional and International judicial/legal institutions and mechanisms related to Chapter 23 of the EU acquis;
- Liaise and co-ordinate with relevant local and international community actors on policy matters;
- Draft and/or contribute to regular and ad hoc analytical reporting, flash reports and briefings, background papers, including talking points, briefing notes, speeches and policy lines;
- Closely collaborate and co-ordinate with other EU staff and participate in and contribute to cross departmental efforts;
- Accompany or represent EUSR and other EU officials on external activities, including missions away from the workplace and outside of BiH;
- Support the EU’s external communications and public outreach activities; and
- Other tasks as assigned by the EUSR and/or delegated authority.
- Minimum 8 years of extended experience in complex political environments, post-conflict and/or developing countries and communities, with policy level experience;
- Advanced/first level university degree in law, criminology, or other suitable subjects related to the rule of law;
- Extensive track record of work in the field of the Judiciary;
- Good knowledge of EU related policies for South East Europe, Western Balkans and BiH;
- Knowledge of EU acquis and international standards in relation to Chapter 23 of the acquis, with a focus on judicial independence, integrity, impartiality and efficiency;
- Good knowledge of the European Union, the European Union institutions (e.g. EUROJUST, European Anti-Fraud Office, European Public Prosecutor’s Office) with knowledge of relevant policies, including the CSDP and CFSP is considered an asset.
Competencies & Attributes
- Proven track record of relevant operational or policy-level work in a national or international environment;
- Strategic vision and the capacity to implement deliverables in a politically sensitive operational environment;
- Experience of interacting with interlocutors at strategic, political and policy level;
- Team-player; taking initiative with high sense of confidentiality and flexibility;
- Ability to work independently;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication and reporting skills (English language), with the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner;
- ICT skills commensurate with the scope of the post;
- Fluency in written and spoken English language;
- Fluent in the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Citizen of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- The Candidate will need to be certified medically fit for employment by a competent authority/person in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license “B” category and ability to drive EUSR official vehicles.
Lokacija: Sarajevo (Rad iz firme)
Broj izvršilaca: 1
Datum objave: 28.08.2023.
Trajanje oglasa: 21 dana (ističe 18.09.2023.)